The Canossian Daughters of Charity – Servants of the Poor (Canossian Sisters) were founded in 1808 by Saint Magdalene of Canossa who was inspired by the love of Jesus Crucified to work much for the spreading of the kingdom, especially where the need was greatest.
The Canossian Sisters came to the United States in 1961 to staff a parochial school in Albuquerque, New Mexico. It was from this community that three sisters came to the Sacramento Diocese at the request of Bishop A.J. Bell in 1969. They were asked to assume catechetical and pastoral apostolates in Amador County. Thus the Sisters took up residence first in a rented house in Sutter Creeek and later in the convent built in Jackson, from where they served three parishes in Sutter Creek, Jackson and Ione, and the mission centers in Volcano, Plymouth and Buck Horn. This convent has since been closed.
In 1972 a second community opened, Our Lady of Lourdes Convent, Sacramento, to serve the catechetical and pastoral needs of the parishes of Our Lady of Lourdes and Saint Joseph Parish in Lincoln. In addition to these, they serve the Parish Centers of Nicolaus and Wheatland. In 1981, they began to meet the catechetical needs at the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament.
Currently, the Canossian Sisters of Sacramento are continuing their service to the people of the Parishes of Our Lady of Lourdes and the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament, in Sacramento, Saint Joseph’s Parish in Lincoln, as well as the satellite churches of Saint Boniface in Nicolaus, and Saint Daniel in Wheatland.